BelBen10OV
Matt Wayne
Tsuchimikado Motoharu
datdude
Sebastian13
63 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27 ... 43  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 43]

276Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 2nd March 2013, 8:08 am

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
Hawkeye & Hulk wrote:1. Where did you go to college?

2. I feel like Grandpa Max and Magister Patelliday are a homage to Sheriff Andy Taylor and Barney Fife.
(Andy Griffith/Don Knotts) They have shown many simularities in Omniverse. (I feel the same way about Gomer and the drunk/ Driba and Blukic but I'm unsure) Is this true?

3. What is the name of Trumbipulor's species?

4. Can Chromastone absorb radiation energy?

1. The University of Michigan, aka "The Harvard of Ann Arbor, Michigan, especially that part that's East of State Street."

2. There are definitely elements of Barney Fife in Patelliday--if Barney Fife were actually a skilled operative. Blukic and Driba as analogs to Gomer and Otis isn't intended, and I just don't see it.

3. Unrevealed.

4. Certainly.

277Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 2nd March 2013, 8:18 am

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
FutureFighter wrote:I think I need to clear up some misunderstandings about where I'm coming from here and what I'm getting at. Though please note, I'm not asking you to do anything about it, Mr. Wayne. I may not like it but I have fully and completely accepted that Charmcaster, when and if she appears in Omniverse, will be completely retconned. Right now, all I want is more solid answers. Besides, I'm in a better mood now knowing that at least Vilgax is dignified once more. Razz

Matt Wayne wrote:You're angry at me and Dwayne for foiling your expectations. Isn't that what entertainment is about?

1. No, I'm not angry at you. Unless you had anything to do with it, but I don't think you did, you only wrote "Where the Magic Happens", which was good. I only want to know if you know who made the decision and why, because it seems to make the episode you wrote pretty useless in hindsight, IMO.

2. No, entertainment is about being entertained. And while foiling expectations is entertaining when done right, it's not when it makes no logical sense in terms of plot and character. Charmcaster was completely out of character in "Enemy of My Frenemy" (why is she suddenly psychotic, and why is she hunky-dory with killing Gwen when she specifically said she didn't want to anymore in the episode you wrote?) and worse, her motive (said to be "why she does EVERYTHING") made no sense when applied to all her past appearances. Seriously, watch them all and the question will pop into your head: "How the heck does any of this contribute to ressurecting her father!?" Making things unpredictable comes second to making things add up and make sense, and that was not done here.

Any good villain is going to have some humanizing traits. You have to believe that their misdeeds are optional--that they're choosing to blow up the universe as a reaction to some relatable situation, otherwise the hero's knocking down cardboard cutouts.

But again, Charmcaster's motives were completely changed. The episode you wrote established that she wanted to free her world from Adwaitya. People may or may not like this as a motive, but at least it added up with what she did before, which was trying to gain power for herself. That she needed it to fight someone (Adwaitya) made sense. But then it's said, out of nowhere, that ressurecting her father is her life's goal, even though none of her evil deeds in the past add up to that. Changing it like that DOES makes her appear like a cardboard cutout that you can do whatever you want with, logic or consistency be damned.

The unlikely team up of hero and arch-nemesis is a staple of episodic fiction. I think the writers get to choose what happens after that, and redeeming the villain is one of the options. Not this time. It wasn't nearly as affecting as the almost operatically tragic arc she took, and I'm not surprised that you were affected.

1. Which writer chose what happened next? Dwayne McDuffie or David Mcdermott, I'm guessing.

2. It was "affecting" for all the wrong reasons. It was "affecting" because it was needlessly cruel, didn't make any sense with what came before, and had no resolution to it, and now it never will since everything about Charmcaster is going to be retconned, which makes it happening make even less sense. Why make her arc "operatically tragic" and then suddenly forget about all that? Tragedy for the sake of tragedy isn't good writing. Tragedy has to have a meaning behind it.

3. It just brings a disturbing double standard when it comes to Kevin. Kevin was redeemed under much less believable circumstances and that's stuck ever since, with him remaining Ben's buddy and Gwen's boyfriend (unless OV is going to change that). Charmcaster has TWO set-ups for redemption (after your episode and after "Couples Retreat") which make more logical sense than Kevin's set-up, and yet neither are taken because Heaven forbid two female enemies ever make peace with each other or that Ben 10 get an anti-heroine rather than a straight-up heroine or straight-up villainess like every other female character is.

And while she was great in UA, she's way too dark for BTO.

I agree with that and I accept it. I still think it's a shame, because aside from your episode, I do NOT think she was great in UA and I think that sweeping all those problems under the rug instead of actually working to fix them in OV is the exact same kind of behavior that led to so much in AF and UA being lackluster. It's also going to be greatly disappointing for Geoff Thorne, who was on the forums defending Charmcaster from attackers and swearing up and down that she wasn't evil and doesn't want to be a villain anymore. Now he looks like an idiot for saying all that. Then again, he wrote "Couples Retreat" and claimed it was a "fun" episode before it aired, so I guess he already looks like an idiot......OK, sorry about that, that was a cheap shot. I just really, really hated that episode..... Evil or Very Mad

Again, I want to point out before anyone jumps me that I'm not angry at Matt Wayne and I don't expect him to do anything in the show about this since I know and accept that ain't happening. I just want the courtesy of answers and of having my voice heard, because Mr. Wayne seems to be the only person polite enough to listen. Derrick Wyatt and others seem to have the same attitude toward Charmcaster and her fans as DC Comics does toward Stephanie Brown and her fans: screw the character over, then remove them from canon completely, and then insut the character's fans for having the audacity to express a negative reaction.

Let's drop this. Once you call one of my best writers an idiot, it's not going anywhere pleasant. Please learn some manners.

278Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 2nd March 2013, 8:25 am

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
Ben10Fan5 wrote:1. My friend from the Ben 10 Fan Fiction Wiki wanted to know if the Naljians were smarter than the Galvans, since they invented higher level technology than the Omnitrix.
2. If nothing in Ben Again ever happened, then why did Ben say, "Great. More time travel," in Showdown: Part 2? Was he referring to other times, like Forge of Creation?

1. I don't think it's been resolved definitively.
2. Yes.

279Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 2nd March 2013, 8:36 am

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
Hawkeye & Hulk wrote:1. What happened to Sunder in Omniverse? You guys made him perfect and amazing in UAF. A real threat. Seemingly an anti-hero. He was awesome and defeated some of Ben's most powerful aliens with no trouble. But in Omniverse, he is just horrible. His voice sounds like he is gargling rusty nails, and he looks terrible. Not to mention he looses easily. He used to take on Ben as his most powerful forms (Ben had help from Gwen and Kevin on both occasions I might add.) But now. He is defeated so easily it is not funny. What happened?

2. Who is your favorite Ben 10 villain?

3. Is Ultimos dead?

4. Are the Forever Knights broken up now?

5. Are Xeonocytes in the Nemetrix?

1. We got together and said, "what could be more sucky about this guy?" And then we dreamed...
2. Lex Luthor. He's so badass, he's also my favorite Ben 10 villain and my favorite Dr. Who villain.
3. Not that we've seen.
4.They were at the end of UA.
5. Hasn't been revealed.

280Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 2nd March 2013, 2:14 pm

Kariachi

Kariachi
Plumber Trainee
Plumber Trainee
Random question time! Let's lighten the mood a touch, shall we?

1) Would you eat Magister Tennyson's cooking?

2) Out of all the species in the galaxy, which would you say is the one you'd least want to get into a war against?

3) What is a number between 1 and 1,000,912?

281Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 2nd March 2013, 6:19 pm

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
Kariachi wrote:Random question time! Let's lighten the mood a touch, shall we?

1) Would you eat Magister Tennyson's cooking?

2) Out of all the species in the galaxy, which would you say is the one you'd least want to get into a war against?

3) What is a number between 1 and 1,000,912?

1. Sure!
2. Humans. Once we have a reason to fight, we keep at it till we can think of a reason to stop.
3. All of them.

282Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 2nd March 2013, 7:24 pm

BelBen10OV

BelBen10OV
Plumber Trainee
Plumber Trainee
Can you give me the official order of the episodes from the episode 1 until the episode The Frogs of War Part 2 Please

283Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 2nd March 2013, 7:31 pm

Tsuchimikado Motoharu

Tsuchimikado Motoharu
Magister
Magister
BelBen10OV wrote:Can you give me the official order of the episodes from the episode 1 until the episode The Frogs of War Part 2 Please

Go to the wiki. A list is already there. You can't expect Mr. Wayne to have time for this anyway.

284Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 3rd March 2013, 12:56 am

Primus 10

Primus 10
Human
Human
What was the alien used off screen in Manny Happy Returns?

285Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 3rd March 2013, 2:54 am

Tsuchimikado Motoharu

Tsuchimikado Motoharu
Magister
Magister
Primus 10 wrote:What was the alien used off screen in Manny Happy Returns?
there wasn't any. Ben turned into Crashhopper and then into Clockwork. That is all.

286Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 3rd March 2013, 9:43 am

ZeroRecoil

ZeroRecoil
Plumber
Plumber
1 - Without spoiling it for us too much, can "Rad" be aired after the "Frogs of War" without too much impact on the continuity?

EDIT: Oh also

2 - Will we ever find out how Hobble got into Alpha Squad?

Last edited by ZeroRecoil on 3rd March 2013, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

287Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 3rd March 2013, 12:06 pm

Lukey

Lukey
Plumber
Plumber
Hey Matt, you may remember me as one of the guys not enjoying Omniverse, but I have to say, I'm really liking everything from arc 3 so far (well, except for Special Delivery, but I'm not sure if that even is a part of arc 3)

1.) Anyway, I just wanted to ask what the rough ratio of the amount of episodes based in space, and the amount of episodes based in Bellwood on Earth is? And is this amount an organic creative decision, or is it something that's specifically dictated?

2.) I also wanted to ask if we're going to see any female characters that are independent of men? It seems like most of the female characters in the show have been only used only to benefit/hinder male characters and then the others have just been female versions of male characters (e.g. EightEight being a female version of the other guys and Gwen being with Kevin, Looma wanting to marry, Ester falling for Ben, Mazuma being Billy's robot, maybe Attea being with her father, but I don't know how that will turn out)
The only female character I can think of from the top of my mind that hasn't had anything to do with men is Nyancy Chan. The Upchuck queen maybe qualifies too, but the fact she was the only female needs an explanation before I can judge.
(By the way, I don't want to sound like a douche by asking this question, I'm just personally a fan of strong female characters so I'm always looking forward to seeing one!)

288Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 3rd March 2013, 7:59 pm

Tsaklas

Tsaklas
Plumber
Plumber
BelBen10OV wrote:Can you give me the official order of the episodes from the episode 1 until the episode The Frogs of War Part 2 Please
001 The More Things Change : Part 1
002 The More Things Change : Part 2
003 A Jolt from the Past
004 So Long and Thanks for All the Smoothies
005 It Was Them
006 Trouble Helix
007 Hot Stretch
008 Have I Got a Deal for You
009 Of Predators and Prey : Part 1
010 Of Predators and Prey : Part 2
011 Many Happy Returns
012 Go Fishing
013 Outbreak
014 Blukic & Driba Go to Mr. Smoothy's
015 Malefactor
016 Bros in Space
017 Arrested Development
018 Rules of Engagement
019 Showdown : Part 1
020 Showdown : Part 2
021 T.G.I.S.
022 Tummy Trouble
023 Store 23
024 Vilgax Must Croak
025 Ben Again
026 Special Delivery
027 Rad
028 While you Were Away
029 The Frogs of War : Part 1
030 The Frogs of War : Part 2

http://www.icarlynewsandepisodes.blogspot.com

289Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 3rd March 2013, 9:08 pm

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
Tsaklas wrote:
003 A Jolt from the Past
005 It Was Them
006 Trouble Helix
007 Hot Stretch
011 Many Happy Returns
012 Go Fishing
013 Outbreak
014 Blukic & Driba Go to Mr. Smoothy's
015 Malefactor
016 Bros in Space
017 Arrested Development
018 Rules of Engagement
019 Showdown : Part 1
020 Showdown : Part 2
021 T.G.I.S.
022 Tummy Trouble
023 Store 23
024 Vilgax Must Croak
025 Ben Again
026 Special Delivery
027 Rad
028 While you Were Away
029 The Frogs of War : Part 1
030 The Frogs of War : Part 2

Yes.

290Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 3rd March 2013, 9:10 pm

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
ZeroRecoil wrote:1 - Without spoiling it for us too much, can "Rad" be aired after the "Frogs of War" without too much impact on the continuity?

EDIT: Oh also

2 - Will we ever find out how Hobble got into Alpha Squad?

1. Sort of.
2. Must be marksmanship, huh?

291Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 3rd March 2013, 9:13 pm

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
Lukey wrote:Hey Matt, you may remember me as one of the guys not enjoying Omniverse, but I have to say, I'm really liking everything from arc 3 so far (well, except for Special Delivery, but I'm not sure if that even is a part of arc 3)

1.) Anyway, I just wanted to ask what the rough ratio of the amount of episodes based in space, and the amount of episodes based in Bellwood on Earth is? And is this amount an organic creative decision, or is it something that's specifically dictated?

2.) I also wanted to ask if we're going to see any female characters that are independent of men? It seems like most of the female characters in the show have been only used only to benefit/hinder male characters and then the others have just been female versions of male characters (e.g. EightEight being a female version of the other guys and Gwen being with Kevin, Looma wanting to marry, Ester falling for Ben, Mazuma being Billy's robot, maybe Attea being with her father, but I don't know how that will turn out)
The only female character I can think of from the top of my mind that hasn't had anything to do with men is Nyancy Chan. The Upchuck queen maybe qualifies too, but the fact she was the only female needs an explanation before I can judge.
(By the way, I don't want to sound like a douche by asking this question, I'm just personally a fan of strong female characters so I'm always looking forward to seeing one!)

1. We're doing more episodes in space for this season (020-030).

2. I don't agree that not having anything to do with men equals independence. That equals amazon queen, which is more of a grownup fantasy than our audience's.

292Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 4th March 2013, 3:37 pm

Bellicus

Human
Human
Tsaklas wrote:
003 A Jolt from the Past
005 It Was Them

006 Trouble Helix
007 Hot Stretch

That can't be right, as Crashhopper was unlocked in "It Was Them" and later appeared in "So Long and Thanks for All the Smoothies".

I was under the impression the arc 1 order was:

1 - The More Things Change, Part I
2 - The More Things Change, Part II
3 - A Jolt From The Past
4 - Trouble Helix
5 - It Was Them
6 - So Long, And Thanks For All The Smoothies
7 - Hot Stretch
8 - Have I Got A Deal For You
9 - Of Predators And Prey, Part I
10 - Of Predators And Prey, Part II

293Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 4th March 2013, 5:06 pm

ZeroRecoil

ZeroRecoil
Plumber
Plumber
Bellicus wrote:
Tsaklas wrote:

005 It Was Them

006 Trouble Helix

That can't be right, as Crashhopper was unlocked in "It Was Them" and later appeared in "So Long and Thanks for All the Smoothies".

4 - Trouble Helix
5 - It Was Them

Production order isn't the order that the creators intend it to be in, its just the order they make them in. Team OV knew and expected CN to switch the order so that Crashhopper could have his intended debut, and they did. The airing date of Season 1 was pretty perfect, problems only arise when you start pulling stories out of different seasons.

So yeah, Tsaklas is right, unless Derrick's memory is faulty and someone at CN can go and disprove it.

294Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 4th March 2013, 5:07 pm

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
Bellicus wrote:
Tsaklas wrote:
003 A Jolt from the Past
005 It Was Them

006 Trouble Helix
007 Hot Stretch

1 - The More Things Change, Part I
2 - The More Things Change, Part II
3 - A Jolt From The Past
4 - Trouble Helix
5 - It Was Them
7 - Hot Stretch
8 - Have I Got A Deal For You
9 - Of Predators And Prey, Part I
10 - Of Predators And Prey, Part II

The script for "So Long and Thanks for All the Smoothies" came together very late, but its production number has always been 004.

If the timeline really bothers you, you can swap 004 and 005.

295Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 4th March 2013, 8:35 pm

ZeroRecoil

ZeroRecoil
Plumber
Plumber
How much action do you write in a script. I used to think that that stuff was left up to directors and animators, but recently I've noticed a lot of one liners and puns only make sense if the writer has some kind of knowledge of what's going on action-wise in that scene.

296Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 5th March 2013, 3:14 am

verbomaniac

Plumber
Plumber
Since Astrodactyl has been revealed can you tell us the name of another alien that Ben will unlock on his omnitrix that hasn't been revealed yet?

And do you know if there is going to be another forum? I know this was just going to be the temporary one but will there ever be another one?

Thanks for the time and effort you put into the show and this forum. I really appreciate it!

297Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 5th March 2013, 10:34 am

Primus 10

Primus 10
Human
Human
This is a confirmation that Jetray appear in Omniverse? http://www.formspring.me/DerrickJWyatt/q/432976135094042072

298Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 5th March 2013, 1:18 pm

ZeroRecoil

ZeroRecoil
Plumber
Plumber
Primus 10 wrote:This is a confirmation that Jetray appear in Omniverse? http://www.formspring.me/DerrickJWyatt/q/432976135094042072

Not really. If he were used zero times that would still not count as much.
But I do believe he will be used in the end. Ben10 OV wouldn't nearly include every alien in the franchise just to give up on the last two hurdles.
Right guys,
right.

299Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 5th March 2013, 1:52 pm

Primus 10

Primus 10
Human
Human
ZeroRecoil wrote:
Primus 10 wrote:This is a confirmation that Jetray appear in Omniverse? http://www.formspring.me/DerrickJWyatt/q/432976135094042072

Not really. If he were used zero times that would still not count as much.
But I do believe he will be used in the end. Ben10 OV wouldn't nearly include every alien in the franchise just to give up on the last two hurdles.
Right guys,
right.
Yes, but, look at this: http://www.formspring.me/DerrickJWyatt/q/432974515585179203 Here, I understand that Jetray has a chance of appear only in the sixth season, so he can appear at least one time, so please answer me this Matt: This is a confirmation that Jetray appear in Omniverse? http://www.formspring.me/DerrickJWyatt/q/432976135094042072

300Q&A With Matt Wayne - Page 12 Empty Re: Q&A With Matt Wayne 6th March 2013, 3:22 am

Matt Wayne

Tummy Head
Tummy Head
ZeroRecoil wrote:How much action do you write in a script. I used to think that that stuff was left up to directors and animators, but recently I've noticed a lot of one liners and puns only make sense if the writer has some kind of knowledge of what's going on action-wise in that scene.

The directors and animators are further down the assembly line and have a great deal to do with how the scene is staged, how it's paced, and much of what happens. But on this show and a lot of TV action shows, the basic story "beats" come from the script.

Here's a snippet from last week's script. I'm just cut and pasting, so no real formatting:

56 HOBBLE
He has a point.

57 ROOK (admonishing aside)
Hobble? Do not help.

Ben marches up and pokes Vilgax in the chest.

58 BEN
Not buying it, Vilgax. You took a chance that you’d make it out alive and we wouldn’t. You'd do anything to get free!

DOWN THE CORRIDOR, a SECOND AIRLOCK <HISSES> open. Attea and the Bounty Hunters bash into view, WEAPONS BLAZING.
The Plumbers, Ben, Rook and Vilgax take cover in the alcove of their airlock. The Plumbers and Rook shoot back. But it’s peashooters and popguns compared to what...

...SIXSIX, SEVENSEVEN AND EIGHTEIGHT are packing. They unload BLISTERING two-handed FUSILLADES (SevenSeven’s claws morph into laser weapons).

Hobble gets a <ZAP> to the shoulder that spins him (henceforth, he gets the worst in every encounter).

59 HOBBLE <alarmed cry>

Ben and Rook kneel beside Hobble, who lies on the floor, legs splayed, wincing as he grips his singed shoulder.

Me again! As you can see, it's not shot-by-shot, and the directors and board artists improved upon it greatly, but there's enough detail to get the story. And the storyboard may include dozens of pages of action that serve the scene as written, but contain material not in the script.

But the script comes first.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 43]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27 ... 43  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum